Google docs is an online word processing tool from Google. You can use it to create new Word documents and edit them. It also allows you to upload your documents in various formats, such as PDF, DOC, ODT, RTF, EPUB, etc. When it comes to editing or creating a document, sometimes we need to overlay or group images. Google Docs has a built-in image editing tool, using which you can overlay and group images. Users who don’t know how to overlay and group images in Google Docs may have to use third party software for the same. In this article, we’ll show you how to easily overlay and group images in Google Docs.
How to overlay and group images in Google Docs
We will describe the following methods one by one in detail.
- How to overlay images in Google Docs
- How to group images in Google Docs
Let’s get started.
1]How to overlay images in Google Docs
There are two ways to overlay images in Google Docs.
- Using the Draw tool
- Using the Wrap Text option
Below, we have described these two methods in detail.
Overlay images in Google Docs using the paint tool
Here, we’ll use the Drawing tool from Google Docs to overlay the images on top of each other. The steps for the same are listed below:
- Open your document in Google Docs.
- Now open the Draw tool. To do this, click on the Insert menu and go to “Drawing> New. “
- In the Draw tool, click the Picture to insert an image into the document. When you click on it, Google Docs will show you several options, like uploading an image from your computer, Google Drive, Google Search, etc. Select the required option to download the image.
- Now click on the empty space in the Draw tool and repeat step 3 to upload another image.
- After uploading all the images you want to overlay, just move an image and place it over another image. If you want, you can also rotate the overlaid images.
- When you are finished, click the Save and close button. This will insert the final image into your Google Docs document.
Read: How to insert a text box in Google Docs.
Overlay images in Google Docs using the Wrap Text option
You can also use the Wrap Text option in Google Docs to overlay images. You may have seen that after inserting the images in Google Docs, you cannot move them. This is because the Wrap Text option is not enabled by default. If you want to move the images, you need to use the Wrap Text option. By moving the images, you can easily overlay them.
Follow the instructions below:
1]Open your document in Google Docs.
2]Insert an image into the document.
3]Select the image and click on the three vertical dots. Now click All image options. This will open the image options in the right pane. Here you have to extend the Text wrapping heading and select the Wrap text option.
4]Insert another image and repeat step 3.
5]Now move the images using the arrow keys on your keyboard or mouse and place them on top of each other.
It’s about overlaying the images in Google Docs. Now let’s see the method to group images in Google Docs.
2]How to group images in Google Docs
The Group option allows you to combine multiple images into one image. Grouping images is different from overlaying images. If you group images, none of the images overlap, while the image overlay feature allows you to place the images on top of each other.
We’ve listed the instructions for grouping images in Google Docs below.
- Open your document in Google Docs.
- Go to “Insert> Drawing> New“to open the drawing tool in Google Docs.
- Insert the images into the Drawing tool.
- After inserting all the images, select them all by pressing Ctrl + A keys.
- Now go to “Actions> Group. “
- After that click on Save and close to insert the grouped image into your document.
Hope this helps you.
Read: How to translate Google Docs documents into any language.
How do I overlay images on top of each other in Google Docs?
You can easily overlay the images on top of each other using the Drawing tool from Google Docs. Above we have explained how to overlay images in Google Docs using the drawing tool. To bring an image on top of another image, just change its order. To do this, right-click on the image, then click on Order, and then select the option you want. The following four options are available:
- Bring to the fore: This option places the selected image at the top of all images.
- Moving forward: This option advances the selected image by one step.
- Send to bottom: This option places the selected image behind all images.
- Send back: This option returns the selected image one step back.
When you are finished, click Save and close.
How to group images in Google Drawings?
To group images in Google Drawings, follow the instructions below:
- Select all the images you want to group together. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl then click on the images one by one.
- Now right click on any of the selected images and select Group.